For example,
Mam Mam (Eat)
Ong Ong (Sleep)
Ngk Ngk (Shitting)
Shh shh (Pee)
Pok pok (Fall down)
Bobok (Toys)
Tung Tung Chiang (Lion Dance)
Kaka (Ghost/Monster)
Just a few months ago, I happened to attend a party with my bro and his friends. I learned another new word to replace "ghost". That is, "Cartoon". It's a total contradiction. Ghost being something that kids fear while cartoon, something that they love watching.
Me and my family were watching TV sometime ago when Jardian told us one of the funny incident in school. A group of students from dont know what school visited St. Joseph in 2005/06. Jardian was one of the prefects who could speak Mandrin. So, he and 3 other prefects(if i'm not mistaken with the number) were asked to give tour to this group of students. When they came to the fish pond, Jardian said, "Ze ge shi yu de you yong chi". I did not notice the odd with that sentence for the first few seconds, but my mum was laughing her head off. When I realize, I couldn't help laughing. "Yu" means fish/fishes. "You yong chi" means swimming pool. So, the translation of what Jardian had said to the students is, "This is fishes' swimming pool"... If I am in his situation, I would've said the very same thing, "Yu de you yong chi" without realizing until I said it...
Thanx to my dad, we did not learn proper mandrin. My dad never understand much in mandrin before I was born. I'm proud to say, he improved a lot over the past few years learning from my mum and us, same for me and my bros. Funny how I managed to learn quite a few proper word from pigz.
Another funny thing, me and Jardian used say "seed" as "Gut Tou"(Bone). After years of using the wrong word, my aunt found out and corrected us that "seed" is "Zong Zi".
Georgia Chin Chiew Yeh can't really speak Mandrin too. So, we tested her mandrin once. She managed to pass a few question until we asked her how to say "nostril" in mandrin. Her answer is "Pi chi de lung"....














0 comments:
Post a Comment